1 The Muppet Mindset: The Diary of an Obsessed Muppet Fan - The Great Muppet Caper

Apr 25, 2010

The Diary of an Obsessed Muppet Fan - The Great Muppet Caper


The Diary of an Obsessed Muppet Fan - Entry 6, April 25, 2010

Dear Diary,
Don't say a word. I am not in the mood to deal with your incessant nagging, diary. I had a long night with--my mother. Yes, she took me out... sewing.

Thankfully I recovered pretty well by watching The Great Muppet Caper. Yes, often regarded as the Muppets magnum opus, the film is probably the greatest example of the Muppets at their best. Granted, it isn't my personal favorite, but darn if I don't absolutely love every second of it. Jim Henson's directorial debut had everything a good Muppet movie, and a good movie in general, needs: comedy, suspense, intrigue, danger, romance, over the top drama, a snappy song and dance number (or two), and rat bellhops. What more could you honestly ask for?

One of my favorite aspects of this film is how we see Kermit step out into more of a leadership role. As I wrote in my entry on The Muppet Movie, we saw Kermit become a hero. Here in The Great Muppet Caper, we see him retain that role of hero, but also develop a strong leadership role.

In the first film, the Muppets needed Kermit to propel them to their dreams of stardom and making people happy, in this one, Kermit needs them to stop the jewel thieves, save the day, and win the girl. Animal eats through the bars, Rowlf saves them from ravenous dogs (I guess they don't like pep-per-oni), and Beaker sacrifices himself to disable the alarm system. See? Kermit needed them! (Sure, he could've just taken the back door like Nicky and the girls, but that a great Muppet caper does not make.)

Speaking of Nicky, I would indeed call him the most enjoyable Muppet villain so far. He was hilarious and just... odd, yet still a great villain in his own right. How can you not love a villain who orders a gross of flowered socks? Or who left his wallet in college? Or whose office door reads "Nicky Holiday: Irresponsible Parasite"? I love the way Nicky plays off of Lady Holiday and Miss Piggy. He's so goofy around Lady Holiday, and completely head-over-heels around Miss Piggy. I just love his over the top, "Forgive me Miss Piggy," line just before he frames her. Brilliant!

But my favorite aspect of The Great Muppet Caper is just that, the caper. When the whole gang is sitting on the Murphy bed checking supplies and then attempting to foil the heist on the Mallory Gallery... well if that just isn't the most Muppety moment ever, I don't know what is. I can't really write anything that would make these scenes better than they already are... so instead, enjoy some random quotes!

"I said, look mother, it's my life, o-kay? And if I want to live on a beach and walk around naked--" ~ Janice

"What color are their hands now?" ~ Beauregard

"I don't got no other pants!" ~ Zoot

"I got some hot mustard, maybe it'll eat through the bars." ~ Floyd

"Well we better do it quick, those dogs have almost finished the pizza!" ~ Scooter

"What color are their hands now?" ~ Beauregard

"I've got the paper towels!" ~ Lew Zealand

"Pitcher, you couldn't hit the broadside of a barn!" ~ Pops

"Popcorn, chicken?" ~ Scooter

"Pitcy-witchy, Beaker." ~ Bunsen

I think that's good enough. If that doesn't make you want to go back and watch this scene right this minute, I don't know what will! And really, isn't that the greatest part of The Great Muppet Caper? The fact that just quoting it can make you want to pop in your DVD and enjoy the film again is what makes this movie so much fun. Just try to watch the "Happiness Hotel" scene and not sing along or smile, or Kermit and Miss Piggy's duck pond exchange without laughing, or being in awe of Piggy's underwater ballet. All the way through, The Great Muppet Caper is awesome. Now I'll let you go so you can go watch it. Not you, diary. You need to make me dinner.

Sincerely and Insanely Yours,
Ryan Dosier














The Muppet Mindset by Ryan Dosier

3 comments:

  1. I love the part of the movie in the park where the little girl tells her dad to look at the bear. The dad says "no, that's a frog. Bears wear hats" or something close to that.

    and in the beginning credits where Gonzo points out how many people worked on the movie and Kermit goes "yeah but wait until you see the end credits!" haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Beauregard gets a staring role...even if he doesn't get a drivers licence.

    This comment brought to you by the confirmation word: ullwooso..."A frog he would ellwooso go"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up watching this one ALOT. We taped it off of HBO or Showtime or something and I nearly wore out the VHS tape. I love when they break the fourth wall a couple of times, like when Piggy breaks down. And don't forget the VERY innovative bicycle scene with all the Muppets RIDING BIKES! Actually RIDING! I mean, yes, Kermit did it in TMM, but this was every single Muppet! Craziness! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.com
The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.combanner